Bravo Filipino | At least six people have died in Davao Oriental, Philippines, from a cholera outbreak. | As many as six people have been killed by cholera in Davao Oriental’s Caraga town since an epidemic began last week, the provincial authorities said Monday.
The total number of cholera cases documented in the town since the outbreak began on January 31 has now reached 491.
In total, 84 people have been admitted to hospitals across the province.
An information officer for the provincial health office said that locals began reporting diarrhea on January 29, with symptoms including loose bowel movement (LBM), vomiting, and stomach pain being reported by the majority of those affected.
That the cholera outbreak was created by submitting test samples, she added, according to the Department of Health’s latest findings.
Contaminated water or food is the primary means through which cholera spreads.
In reaction to the ongoing cholera outbreak in Caraga, Dr. Reden Bersaldo of the Philippine Health Organization (PHO) has promptly initiated a huge emergency health response.
Bersaldo stated that the teams will aid in active surveillance, treatment and monitoring, and coordination in an effort to contain the outbreak.
On the Waterborne Disease Outbreak Response Team, the provincial government also sent the first batch of personnel from the Disaster Risk Reduction and Management in Health Response (DRRM).
Doctors, nurses, sanitary inspectors, and other support staff make up the 21-person PHO team.
“As part of the active surveillance, families will be surveyed house to house to determine their hydration levels. It would be assisted by the Philippine Voluntary Organization (PVO) through its DRRM-Health unit, Bersaldo stated.
The impacted LGU received supplies, medicines, and other logistics from the provincial administration last week.
Additionally, Governor Nelson Dayanghirang directed all relevant offices to assist the families of those who lost their lives in the outbreak by supplying medical supplies and additional staff members.
Caraga’s Sangguniang Bayan has yet to consider the proclamation of a state of calamity by the municipality. (PNA)